Wild about nature? You've come to the right place.
Artists and sun worshippers aren't the only species drawn to the Emerald Coast. Our breathtaking beaches are popular with wildlife and ecotourists as well. Here on the Emerald Coast, it isn't unusual at all to be joined by a heron as you walk on the beach, to see a pelican out fishing while you’re casting a line in the bay or to come upon bottlenose dolphins at play while you’re out Jet Skiing. Read about our plant life, wildlife and ecotourism opportunities here.
Let’s go Geocaching!
Let the treasure hunt begin! If you’ve never experienced geocaching, you’re in for a lot of fun! Geocaching is an outdoor treasure hunt using GPS-enabled devices. Adventurers navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find containers called "geocache" or "caches" hidden at that location. The caches are at minimum a container with a log book inside. Some geocaches contain little trinkets that you can take when you visit the cache and keep or trade at the next cache you visit.
Okaloosa County Geocache Trail
Go geocaching along the Emerald Coast in various Okaloosa County Parks! While supplies last, a custom trackable Okaloosa County Geocache Trail coin will be given to people who complete all trail requirements:
- A geocache has been placed in several of the Counties public parks. Find and log a minimum of 20 of the geocaches on the Okaloosa County Geocache Trail
- You must find 4 Okaloosa County Geocache Trail geocaches in each quadrant of the county for a total of 16 geocaches
- Plus, 4 other Okaloosa County Geocache Trail caches from any quadrant on the list
- Each cache contains a code which you must write in the Okaloosa County Geocache Trail passport. To get your passport, visit The Geocache Trail
- Once passport is complete, turn it in to receive your trackable coin
Okaloosa County Public Library Cooperative (OCPLC): Heritage Geocache Trail!
Explore the heritage of the Emerald Coast. While supplies last, a custom OCPLC Heritage prize coin, commemorating Viva Florida 500 will be given to people who complete all requirements of the trail.
- Find 6 out of 8 "OCPLC Heritage Geocache Trail" caches
- Write correct answers to those caches on your passport. Passport can be found here.
- Log each cache found on your www.geocaching.com account and upload a picture taken near each cache.
- Submit your passport at any OCPLC library